Hartford Area Humanists Resolution
Our Response to the Climate Crisis
Approved by Hartford Area Humanists Steering Committee November 26, 2019.
Resolved, that Hartford Area Humanists considers climate change to be an existential threat to our global ecosystem. As Humanists, we maintain that it is a planetary duty to protect nature’s integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner. In order to better meet that duty, we commit to the following:
- Since the best approach to addressing climate change is to reduce or eliminate the emission of greenhouse gasses, all individuals attending our events and activities are encouraged to carpool whenever possible.
- In order to mitigate the environmental impact of our events and activities, participants in our events are encouraged to contribute to carbon offset funds through measures to be facilitated by our Steering Committee.
- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), estimates that about 14.5 percent of global GHG emissions, or 7.1 gigatons of CO2 equivalent, can be attributed to the livestock sector. Our members are encouraged to make vegetarian or preferably vegan selections when ordering food at events held in restaurants, and priority in selecting restaurants will be given to locations offering vegan options.
- All restaurants hosting our events should be informed that disposable drinking straws should not be provided unless requested.
- All meetings and events should include, to the extent practical and appropriate, a message or announcement that advances the priorities established by this resolution.
- This resolution is to be read at a general membership meeting at least one time per year, preferably at the annual meeting, and event announcements should include language consistent with the priorities established by this resolution.